The ‘Plastics Circularity Multiplier’ group held its three days online conference between 14 - 16 October 2020.
The event was a success, having around 300 participants each day. It brought together policy makers and representatives from industry who communicated on a range of EU-funded innovations that aim to bring plastic materials into the circular economy. The discussion was centred around learning how to create a cross cooperation between EU Projects and boost EU's efforts towards a circular economy for plastics.
14 October 2020 10.00 - 12.30 CET
R&D investments and Chemical Recycling
- Presentation of the Plastics Circularity Multiplier Initiative
- R&D investments and Chemical Recycling
- ISOPREP - A Novel Approach for Recycling Polypropylene from Waste Carpets - Nuray Kizildago (Sabanci University)
- DEMETO - Chemical Characterization and Thermodynamic Modeling of PET Recycling Streams - Ioannis V. Skiadas (DTU), State -Space Thermal Model for a Depolymerisation - Matthieu Jaccard (SUPSI)
- polynSPIRE - Demonstration of Innovative Technologies towards a more Efficient and Sustainable Plastic Recycling - Nelson Rene Garcia Polanco (CIRCE)
- iCAREPLAST - Integrated Catalytic Recycling of Plastic Residues into Added-Value Chemicals - José Manuel Serra Alfaro (CSIC)
- NONTOX - The challenge of NONTOX - removing hazardous substances to increase the recycling rates of WEEE, ELV and C&DW plastics - Nazarena Vincenti (ERION)
- Circular Flooring - Update on project status - Swetlana Wagner (Fraunhofer)
- Q/A – Moderator: Maurizio Crippa - Gr3n
15 October 2020 10.00 - 12.30 CET
Product design for recycling & Recycled plastics content in products
- Clustering activities in EU Projects - Keti Medarova - Bergstrom, Project Advisor at EASME
- Product design for recycling
- Recycled plastics content in products
- Q/A – Moderator: Bernard Merkx - EuPC
16 October 2020 10.00 - 12.30 CET
Collection and sorting of plastic waste & Monitoring of recycled plastics
- Keynote speech - Connecting the bins: why Plastics Circularity requires us to get off our respective islands - Kim Ragaert, Associate Professor at Ghent University
- Collection and sorting of plastic waste
- PlastiCircle - Innovative technologies for the Circular Economy of Plastic Packaging - César Aliaga (ITENE)
- CREAToR - Recycling and compliancy: a way to sort it all out - Mathilde Taveau (Coolrec Plastics)
- Life-Repolyuse - Recovery of industrial polyurethane waste for use in new construction materials - Sara Gutiérrez González (Burgos University)
- Monitoring of recycled plastics
- Q/A - Moderator: Marjan Ranogajec - EuPC
The Plastics Circularity Multiplier initiative is open to new partners from 2021. A meeting will be held in November to discuss the future of the initiative and ways to move forward. If you would like to join the initiative, please send us an email at email@example.com.
You can download all the presentations from the online conference below.
Twenty one innovation projects joined forces in 2019 to boost European Union's efforts towards a circular economy for plastics. The newly formed group will pool resources and expertise to “multiply” key messages from the ecosystem of projects that receive funding from the EU’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
The initiative is managed by EuPC, as Communication and Dissemination leader of the DEMETO project, with the participation of other Horizon 2020 Projects in the field of plastics circularity:
CIRC-PACK, Circular Flooring, CREAToR, DECOAT, FiberEUse, HARMONI, iCAREPLAST, ISOPREP, MultiCycle, NONTOX, PlastiCircle, polynSPIRE, PolyCE, PUReSmart, REACT, REMADYL, REPAIR3D, SMARTFAN and TERMINUS.
Life project REPOLYUSE has also joined the initiative as guest participant.